Tuesday, June 16, 2020

June 2020 Sunset Park with Abby

Beautiful day in the low 80's for a trip to Sunset. Went with Abby, our first time climbing outside together, and only her second time trad climbing.

We decided to go all the way to the south end to avoid crowds. We didn't see any other climbers down there the entire day.

Warmup: Afternoon Delight (5.7+). Definitely more challenging than I would have expected for 5.7.

Walk in the Park (5.8): Off-width section at the top had me thinking and striving to use good technique. I could have used more large gear (only brought one #4 C4).

Decoy Buckets (5.8): This felt really easy. Guidebook had called it 5.9, but I would agree with Mountain Project's grade (5.8). Felt a bit lackluster. I never once felt challenged in any way on this climb.

Second Sun (5.9+): This didn't feel like a "plus" to me, but I went left at the first crux and may have been cheating. The rest of the climb was tons of fun and felt like 5.9.

Wind Walker (5.9): A great climb. Loved the roof, enjoyed the slightly run-out slab near the top. Fun bouldery start.

No comments:

Post a Comment