I left the house at 6:15 in the morning. After flying to SFO, I made the 4 hour drive to their house.
Arriving in Yosemite around 3:30 PM PDT, there was still time to get in a few routes!!! Eliza drove me 15 minutes into the park, Nate met us in the parking lot, and after a very short approach (2 minutes???) we arrived at a granite wall split by several moderate cracks. Eliza led the first one, a straightforward crack climb called Knob Job (5.10b). She made it look easy, but after following her, I was glad she had done the lead for me as I warmed up on the sharp granite in this beautiful valley. The rock seems super solid, but it also seems ready to cut up the backs of your hands if you don't jam them into the cracks just right! Tomorrow I'll use some crack climbing gloves we've borrowed from a neighbor. The crux on this climb was a thin, flaring finger crack near the top. I believe if I had followed this crack, the climb would have felt like 5.11+. But Eliza clued me in that there was a big, long flake to grab onto out right, which turned the move into a moderate lay-back.
Here I am, trying to learn good crack technique. I have a lot more work to do!!! Nate has promised to teach me good crack climbing skills as well as to give me some pointers for fast multi-pitch belay transitions.
![]() |
| Kenton struggles to practice good crack climbing techniques on Knob Job. |
![]() |
| Nate smiles for the camera during our short descent from the Pat and Jack Pinnacle. |


Wow!!! Love reading about this. Keep on climbing and enjoy the Adventure. I absolutely love that you are living life to its fullest. Enjoy!!!
ReplyDelete