Sunday, March 12, 2023

March Puerto Rico Nuevo Bayamon with Malcolm

 

Crazy wax-like limestone features at Nuevo Bayamon

Wednesday March 8, 2023

Climbing at Nuevo Bayamon in Puerto Rico with Malcolm over spring break. Weather was warm, but the entire climbing area was shaded behind the wall itself at this time of year. And, we were surrounded by dense vegetation, so the temperatures were actually rather pleasant.

The rock is limestone. All the climbs were sport.

Paz (5.8-) - Easy warmup.

Amor (5.8) - Another short and easy warmup. Malcolm led this himself, too!

La Cueva del Alacrán (5.8) - Slight crux in the middle. Malcolm top-roped this once, then led it himself, too.

Jadihel (5.9) - Longer than the others but bottom half was trivial. Another strong lead for Malcolm.

Yan Gabriel (5.9-) - Crux near the top actually felt like 5.9.

ADD (5.10b) - Cruxy and hard on the fingers in the second half. I had to climb this twice, because Malcolm pulled the rope by mistake without intending to lead it.

The Shark Attack (5.10c/d) - Overhung and sharp, but over quickly.

I'm Only Human (5.11a) - Challenged me more than I expected.

Shanghai Bombay (5.12a) - Hard near the bottom, hard near the top, easier on the middle. Go left at the top until the last chance to escape right toward the chains. I had to take twice just below the chains on this one before I figured out the beta.

La Venganza del Planeta (5.9) - Harder than I expected near the bottom and at the overhang.

No comments:

Post a Comment