Drove to Looking Glass with Derek and Malcolm on Oct 30 (Halloween). Cloudy morning turned into a sunny afternoon. We climbed Sundial Crack (5.8-) on the Nose. Malcolm did an absolutely spectacular job following us on this climb. Derek led pitches 1 and 3, I led pitches 2 and 4. We were initially stuck behind a slow party, but I led so slowly on the 2nd pitch that it didn't matter in the end. I was having some trouble getting into the right headspace for NC friction climbing, and I also was carrying a backpack which didn't help with my balance.
On the descent Derek missed the third set of rappel anchors and just barely made it to a different set on Sundial by taking advantage of rope stretch. I rappelled down to the proper set of anchors (after he called me on the telephone to explain the situation!!!) and Malcolm followed me. Malcolm also did a terrific job on the rappels! So impressed with his progress and mental strength.
![]() |
| Malcolm at the start of the crack itself on Sundial Crack |
![]() |
| Derek and Malcolm hang out at the belay. They have the same hairstyle! |
![]() |
| Malcolm getting ready for the second rappel |




No comments:
Post a Comment