![]() | |
| Kenton negotiating the Tyrolean traverse across Clear Creek |
The day after Derek and I climbed the Diamond, we went for the morning to climb a mixed route in Clear Creek Canyon. This was a linkup of two different climbs, Ride the Snake (5.9) followed by Gneiss Roof (5.10a). Derek climbed all of Ride the Snake in a single pitch, while I did the same for Gneiss Roof. The climbing was overall pretty easy the entire way, and I had a good time on the route, but as usual I made a mess with the double ropes we had chosen to use. Rather than reducing rope drag as intended, I both forgot to extend the bolts under the roof and clipped the wrong rope. The rope drag when pulling several of the cruxier moves after that was significant. I also got the ropes horribly tangled trying to pull them through the anchors while setting up the second rappel on the (very airy!) descent. Lesson learned: I need to practice more with double ropes to improve my skills. We made it back home in just enough time to have some lunch before I was on my way to the airport.
![]() |
| Kenton, blinded by the sun, looking up from the airy first rappel |
Thanks to the folks who donated money to construct a "professional" Tyrolean setup for this wall, complete with steel cable and steel rings. It's very unfortunate that someone had to die here. Frankly, I think that doing the river crossing on the way back from the climb was the crux of the route for me. Very tiring.


No comments:
Post a Comment