Sunday, January 14, 2018

January Tennessee Wall

January 6, 2017 I drove with John, Rachel, and Jacob to T-Wall. Weather was cold, but skies were clear. Temps were in the low 20's in the parking lot, but we were wearing just our fleeces through most of the day. The rock there just sucks up the sun, so as long as the sun is out and there is no breeze, it is comfortable no matter what the underlying temperature.

Jacob chillin' in front of John

Warmed up again on Art (5.8) and did it cleanly this time. Nevertheless, I was still very nervous and stuck in my head on this climb. Jacob cleaned.

Jacob led Nappy (5.7) and I cleaned.

I top-roped Finger Lockin' Good (5.10b/c) and had to hang on the rope two times. Jacob did it cleanly!

I led Love Handle (5.10b) and it felt easy. I enjoyed slinging the "love handle" as part of my protection for this climb. Jacob cleaned.

We returned to Finger Lockin' Good and I led it this time. I had two hang on gear three times, but I managed to finish the climb! This is definitely a project for me. Next time, I hope to get it clean. Jacob finished it clean, too!

Finished up on Sly Willie Snores (5.11a). This was a mistake. The climb is mixed. It starts trad, transitions to sport, then moves back to trad at a large roof right beneath the finish. I was unfortunately too tired to pull the roof moves after all the other climbing I had done that day, and I started to get really scared. I placed tons of gear and started trying to aid the final moves. Even that proved too difficult. I had to rest, and rest, and rest. Finally, after the sun had already set, I dragged myself to the top and had Jacob lower me, cleaning the gear as I went.

Lessons learned: 1. T-Wall is always pleasant if the sun is out and there is no wind. 2. I shouldn't get on the hardest climb of the day with only an hour of sunshine left.

No comments:

Post a Comment